Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Not a Resolution

Dear Friends,

I know that I have not been blogging as frequently as I should this month. December has always been a busy month for me. The closing of the year, the Christmas festivities and the endless rush of running errands for the coming New Year. Tomorrow is a HISTORIC day. The last day of 2009 before we usher in another year. I know it is going to be another busy day tomorrow, so I decided to pen down my New Year thoughts today.
2009 has been a year that zoomed in and zoomed out for me; in a flash of an eye. It was a year of the impossibles. Just reflecting, it has been a 'coloured' year. A first black President of the United States was inaugurated in January, a much adored black but 'bleached' Michael Jackson died in June and a once respected black golf legend, Tiger Woods who fell from grace because of his many 'holes in one'. I would equate this to a BLACKENED year. The sluggish economy, high inflation, the H1N1 epidemic; has pitched tremendous darkness to our once clear horizons.

Throughout the years, I have not taken long breaks and decided to do so this year. All in all, I would have rested for eleven days before returning to the salt mine again this Monday, in a New Year that is. It was nice waking up in the morning and just sitting serene in my garden. I can't remember the last time I did that. I just realised that I now have squirrels as inhabitants. I never saw them there before. As I was sitting, I realised that LIFE for me has always been a RUSH. I talk fast, I eat fast, I work fast and I like taking the shortest cuts possible; All I cared about was results. I started pondering on what was I grateful and thankful for in 2009.

I am one who do not believe in setting New Year resolutions. Why set them when I am not going to attain them. For me, not having resolutions are fine but what is important is to set aside a time for REFLECTIONS. I believe that if I do not reflect, I am almost sure of repeating the same mistakes in the coming New Year. I have always not planned in making big changes or improvements at any one go. My belief has always been making small improvements monthly and accumulative, a major improvement in twelve months. This will be my New Year's belief and not a RESOLUTION.

For 2010, I am not going to underestimate myself. The way trends are moving, I believe it is going to be an exhilarating year. I am aspiring to make changes albeit RADICAL ones; in both my personal and professional life. I want to BELIEVE big and achieving bigger. My challenge will be paced against Mother Theresa. A poor unknown nun who believed in that change for the impossible. When she died, her native Albania and her home India fought for her body's custody. She made a living impact that led to a bigger impact in her death. Good changes will impact lives better. That is what I would want. In all that I do, I would also do it out of LOVE. By so doing, I believe that I would influence and impact the people and the environment around me. This will be my New Year's belief and not a RESOLUTION.

For 2010, I am going to take time to count my BLESSINGS. I am going to expect less and to appreciate every goodness in people around me. How often in our busy lives, we have learned to make a living but not a life? We have added years to life and not life to years. I am going to learn to wait and not rush.
When 'Auld Lang Syne' is sung tomorrow night, I am no longer going to keep anything for that special occasion because everyday I live will be a special occasion. Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment and not only about survival. Don't save your best perfume for that 'special occasion'; go ahead and spray it on everyday. I challenge all of us to not delay anything that adds laughter and joy to our lives in 2010. FORGIVE that person and FORGET that bad deed. Let's start on a clean slate, as the saying goes. I will sit in my garden more and admire the view without paying much attention to my needs.

THANK YOU for visiting my blog this year. I will continue to write on topics that are dear to me and I will aim to be as prolific as I can. I am grateful for your encouragement and criticism shared.

"CARPE DIEM" Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; and live it to the fullest. On that parting note for 2009, I wish you and your family much blessings for 2010. GOD BLESS!

No comments: